Teaching mathematics in secondary schools is exciting and dynamic. You can make a real difference at every level – even while completing your initial teacher training.
If you’ve got a love of mathematics, a desire to teach and the potential to be an inspirational teacher, then you can apply for a Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarship. You could receive a £26,000 tax-free scholarship to support you while you train.
Benefits of a Maths Scholarship
In addition to the tax-free bursary, you will receive:
- Two years free membership of professional bodies
- Access to superb professional resources
- Invitations to CPD events arranged, and run, by specialists in maths education. Have a look at this blog by a Scholar and find out why he was asked to bring a Pringles tube to a maths conference…
- Keep abreast with developments in maths, education and teaching
- Membership of a like-minded and passionate community of Maths enthusiasts
- Recognition of your potential to boost your confidence
- Looks good on your CV!
Maths Scholarship Criteria
To apply for a Scholarship, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You are eligible for student finance (please see the eligibility section of our FAQ page for more information)
- You have, or are expected to achieve:
- A first or 2:1 undergraduate degree, or a postgraduate degree (MSc, MRes, MPhil or PhD), or;
- A 2:2 undergraduate degree, and also have significant relevant experience.
- You meet one of the following:
- Have, or are studying for, a degree with strong mathematical content (e.g. mathematics, physics, engineering.)
- Have a degree with strong mathematical content and will complete, or have completed, a Maths Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course of any duration prior to September 2021.
- Have a non-mathematical degree and will complete, or have completed, a Maths SKE course of a minimum of 20 weeks in duration prior to September 2021.
- Have a non-mathematical degree with extensive mathematical professional experience.
- Secure a training place on an eligible Secondary Mathematics PGCE or unsalaried School Direct mathematics course in England which leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) status for the 2021/22 academic year.
When are we Opening/Closing Applications?
Applications are now open!
We are scheduled to close on Monday 5 July 2021. However, in previous years, we have received an overwhelming number of applications to the Maths Scholarships which led to the Scheme closing earlier than expected. Should this happen again, then we will close early so follow us on social media to stay up to date; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. If you would like to join our mailing list, then drop us an email at Scholarships@ima.org.uk.
Our advice here is not to leave applying until the provisional deadline. We have a limited number of Assessment places and once they have all been filled up, then we cannot assess any more people.
Want to find out more and receive some helpful advice on applying?
We want to help you through the process of applying. On our website, you will find blogs on how to submit a successful application, and writing a personal statement. There’s also Scholars blogs telling about their experiences as a mathematics ITT trainee or as a Maths Scholar.
Alternatively, you can attend a webinar run by the Scholarships Team. The Maths Scholarships Team will be streaming live, talking about the Scheme and answering all your burning questions such as: how it is different to the government’s normal bursary for initial teacher training; what additional benefits do Maths Scholars receive as part of the Maths Scholarship; how can the Scheme help an ITT trainee during their initial teacher training year and NQT year.
If you’ve been wondering what the Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships is all about then come along to one of our webinars!
We will also be joined by an Admissions Tutor for Secondary PGCE courses from an outstanding provider. If you have any questions concerning the process of applying to teacher training, then bring those along with you too and they can be addressed in the Q&A session after the webinar. Please note that this advice is provided independently of any ITT provider.
The dates of our webinars are:
|Monday 15 February 2021||10:00 – 11:00||9am, Friday 12 February 2021|
|Thursday 4 March 2021||19:30 – 20:30||9am, Wednesday 3 March 2021|
|Saturday 27 March 2021||09:00 – 10:00||9am, Friday 26 March 2021|
|Monday 19 April 2021||12:30 – 13:30||9am, Friday 16 April 2021|
|Tuesday 18 May 2021||19:30 – 20:30||9am, Monday 17 May 2021|
To sign up to a webinar, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Email address
- Date of webinar you would like to attend
We look forward to receiving your application or seeing you at one of our webinars
Project Manager – Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Direct Line: 01702 356108
Tel: 01702 354020